September 5, 2010

Disadvantages, sociobiological feminism and (possibly) why I identify as a cissexual female and cisgender woman.

Let's begin with what I believe is the most advantaged and disadvantaged.  If you're a rich, white, western, commonly abled, heterosexual, cissexual male and cisgender man (and I'm sure I've forgotten a few 'categories'), then, congratulations, you won the privilege lottery!  If you're a rich, white, western, commonly abled, heterosexual, cissexual female and cisgender woman (as I am), you are slightly less privileged than your male counterpart.  A quick succession of changes to the rest of those categories and you will eventually find yourself at the bottom, the place where the least privileged reside: This would be the poor, black, non-western, uncommonly abled, homosexual, trans/intersex/non binary and femme-identifying person.   Even in cases where privilege would not exist this would be true: Women/femme identifying and female assigned persons have more challenges to face just by virtue of being who they are.

Sociobiological feminism is a term I like to use to describe the antithesis of evolutionary psychology.  Rather than a case of the Culture of Matter, it is the Matter of Culture.  The first is often used to defend much of the victim-blaming that goes on within our societies, with the responsibility to change one's behaviour placed on the victim and which was the impetus for making phrases such as 'boys will be boys' more acceptable in current mainstream society.  While the latter suggests that much of what we perceive as encased in stone when it comes to gender and their roles, is actually rooted deep within the socialization of oneself into his/her culture.  Turning this on its head requires that we take back ownership of our bodies and take responsibility for our actions and change the way we are socialized within each of our respective, and throughout all, cultures.

Cissexual female and cisgender woman are terms to describe a female/woman who identifies with the body and roles they matured and developed in.

How these all work together to define who I am, at least in one manner, comes to this:  I believe that I must work to change the disadvantages that I, as a woman, experience and I feel that the best way for me, PERsonally, to do this is to not only work from a vantage point with the best possible understanding of these disadvantages but also the best possible place to make changes.  That means the vantage point where the most burdensome role of society's and nature's expectations reside entirely on me. And yet also where the responsibility of the position that can best affect change along that axis lies. As a woman/femme-identifying person and assigned female I will be the one socialized to want and expect to have kids. And as women/femme identifying persons and assigned females, we are the only ones who will be forced to accept the reality of that prospect.  Even if you are a (non-op) trans/intersex/non-binary man/masculine identifying person or a (pre-op/post-op) trans/intersex/non binary man/masculine identifying person, your expectations or reality are definitely going to vary from that one once you have identified who you are, of court's.

I am also non-sexual (activity-wise, NOT identity) and have no idea whether I would be able to take certain kinds of birthcontrol/contraception.  You might think that this completely blows out of the water my previous theory on disadvantages, but I don't think it does.  I believe that the way the body is structured is sexist, as I pointed out earlier.  I (again, PERsonally) think that making use of these functions (functions in the body usually assigned female that differ from the body usually assigned male) only underscores that sexism. 

What do YOU think...?

No comments: